Wednesday 14 December 2016

Get out the snowshoes


Yesterday, Tuesday, we got 15 cms of new snow.  Tomorrow we are getting more but a possibility of it changing to rain.  That will mess up the new powder.  So, today I decided to do my cardio outside after my workout at the gym.

I picked the Octagon Pond trail as it was between the gym and home.  The first part of the trail leading to the pond was chewed up by an ATV.  The town, who oversees the trail, seems to have a problem keeping these yahoos off the trail.


I hit the main trail at the bottom of the pond where there's a seating area.


The main trail was beaten down a bit but a side trail offered some sweet snowshoeing.  I left a trail of beaver tail impressions in the pure, white powder.


Sunlight glistened on the snow that settled gently on the fir tree branches.  It was -6C but no wind and hardly any other people on the trail.  It was a perfect day feeling so alive!


As the trail bent around the pond I looked out over the frozen expanse.  Today, December 14th the pond was lightly frozen over.  I paddled the pond on January 12th back in 2011 (yes, I checked Stardust's log book) when it was all open water.  I did that paddle not because it was exciting but it was one of those once n a blue moon occasions.  It doesn't usually stay open that long into the winter.


At one point I spotted a tree on the side of the trail decorated for Christmas.  I don't know it one person did this or numerous people donated an ornament but I thought how wonderful.  Its easy to get dismayed with all the car bombings, the massacre of civilians in Aleppo and the Donald but, you know, there are vastly more wonderful people in the world.  I thought this was one sign.


A close-up of some of the ornaments on the tree with the added effect of snow.


I stopped to hear the occasional bird.  There were also traces of rabbits.  It was very peaceful and serene except when ...


... I neared the end of the trail and the turnaround.  This used to be a nice little zigzag downhill part of the trail before they opened it up to build a new school.  I'm annoyed they didn't leave a buffer of trees to maintain the tranquility along the trail.

Ninety minutes of "exercise" and I was back at the car and totally contented and at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment